Websites are a great resesarch tool, but it is important in academic research to only use quailty webistes. Review these website evaluation criteria.
- Who is the website author? Is contact information provided? Are qualifications given?
- Is the site promoting a particular perspective on the topic? Is the information one-sided? Who is the intended audience?
- Is the information presented supported by references and citations? Is the topic discussed thoroughly and completely?
- Date when the site was create and date when last updated.
- Government (.gov) and Education (.edu) sites are usually legitmate as they are associated with reputable institutions.
- Organization (.org) and Network (.net) sites are sometimes usable, but evaluation is vital as they may be biased.
- Commerical (.com) sites are sometimes geared toward selling a product or service.